UPS Returns® Exchange gives your customer a concierge-like experience with hands-on assistance.Close co-operation between the US Congress, industrial manufacturers, university research and the military establishment contributed to the United States’ emergence as one of the most technologically advanced nations in the world. From wearable technology to 3D printing, the US leads the world in high-technology research and development. From nanotechnology to photonics, the US has advanced capability. In other high-tech industries, it’s considered the world leader:
- Aerospace: The US Department of Defense and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) are the two largest consumers of aerospace technology and products. Boeing, United Technologies Corporation and Lockheed Martin are top manufacturers.
- Artificial Intelligence: Apple’s Siri for iPhone, IBM’s Watson, and Xbox One’s The Kinect are all examples of some of the systems the US artificial intelligence industry has developed for knowledge, learning, and natural language processing.
- Biotechnology: From agriculture to food production and medicine, the US is home to some of the world’s largest biotechnology companies. Among them are Amgen (Applied Molecular Genetics), Gilead Sciences, Celgene Corporation and Biogen Idec.
- Information technology: US companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google and Intel have become household names around the world as leaders in hardware, software, internet, and e-commerce and telecom providers.
- Semiconductors: Over 50% of the world’s top 20 semiconductor companies are American, including Intel Corporation, Qualcom, Micron Technology, Texas Instruments, Broadcom, AMD, Freescale Semiconductor, and NVIDIA.
- Telecommunications: The world’s second largest global telecommunications company, AT&T, is American, followed closely by Verizon Communications. Other large US telecommunications companies are Cablevision, Level 3 Communications, and Windstream.
|Business Type||Employees on Payroll (USA)||Total Establishments (USA)||Establishments in California||California Share of Total|
|Semiconductor machinery manufacturing||15,742||197||72||37%|
|Photographic and photocopying equipment manufacturing||4,403||207||58||28%|
|Electronic computer manufacturing||21,626||398||98||35%|
|Computer storage device manufacturing||15,927||134||56||42%|
|Computer terminal manufacturing||967||31||6||19%|
|Other computer peripheral equipment manufacturing||28,937||574||147||26%|
|Telephone apparatus manufacturing||20,113||297||60||20%|
|Broadcast and wireless communications equipment||78,526||809||197||24%|
|Semiconductor and related device manufacturing||98,386||922||323||35%|
|Search, detection, navigation, guidance, aeronautical, and nautical system and instrument manufacturing||143,592||592||115||19%|
|Computer and computer peripheral equipment and software merchant wholesalers||225,855||9,963||1,890||19%|
|Other electronic parts and equipment merchant wholesalers||288,146||12,773||2,615||20%|
|Computer and software stores||88,066||10,292||1,198||12%|
|Database and directory publishers||35,390||1,416||163||12%|
|Data processing, hosting, and related services||401,079||12,294||1,727||14%|
|Internet publishing and broadcasting and web search portals||135,554||6,398||1,419||22%|
|Custom computer programming services||644,340||59,182||9,415||16%|
|Computer systems design services||524,599||49,135||5,772||12%|
|Computer facilities management services||111,096||5,634||629||11%|
|Other computer related services||164,829||11,886||1,606||14%|
|Research and development in biotechnology||110,605||3,336||863||26%|
|Research and development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences (except biotechnology)||540,421||11,732||2,179||19%|